Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Solution Essay

And here's the "Solution" to the problem. This is one of my least favorite essays here, partly because it's less stylistically sound than its predecessor, partly because I wasted several paragraphs reiterating points made in the Problem essay (I wasn't sure whether it needed to be able to stand on its own or not), and partly because I rather softened some of my views in it in a ham-fisted attempt to appeal to a wider range of readers- let it be known that I think playing the games your children play is essential to reaching the kind of understanding and respect that I champion, at least in the early stages.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't call the thing bad, and those looking for an extension of the first may well get something out of it.

____________________________________________________


SOLUTION ESSAY

It didn’t take me long, as a young video game player, to realize that my new hobby was not well received by my mother. Like mothers (and fathers) everywhere still do, she saw the games as invaders, pulling my attention away from worthier activities and even causing some harm to my fragile mind. Our disagreement about the quality of the games, and the restrictions she placed upon my playing them, brought tension and discontentment to our once-harmonious relationship. I was upset when unable to use my full allotment of game time in a day, and indignant at my parents’ unlimited television viewing, which I saw as unfair regardless of how much they actually watched. More than anything, though, I was saddened my mother, previously so open and interested to hear about my interests and hobbies, had suddenly become so negative
and unreceptive to the wonders I wished to share with her.

My story, I have much reason to believe, is being played out almost identically in homes across the country- indeed, the world. Parents’ guides everywhere urge the limitation and discouraging of video games, going so far as to suggest time frames to limit playing to, and sometimes to ban games from the household altogether, all in the name of protecting children and fostering a love of other things like reading and sports. But these techniques frequently cause more harm than good, and they deny children the parental closeness, friendship, respect, and understanding that they often so badly need.

Reversing the trends that have dominated for so long will not be easy. According to an Associated Press-AOL Games poll conducted late last year, forty-three percent of parents never game with their videogame-playing children, and an additional thirty percent rarely play over an hour each week- in all, only around one in four parents spend much time at all playing video games with their children (Fram and Tompson).But by playing these games with their children instead of condemning them, parents can build on their relationships and respect, learn more about their interests and personality, and perhaps even try to understand what draws their children to those games in the first place. Many parents are quick to assume that it’s the flashy graphics or the violence and sex that garner so much attention, but in reality, the graphics are merely a piece of the puzzle, and many of the most popular games contain little, if any, explicit content.

Even if a parent finds the prospect of gaming with their children too daunting (or if they’re simply too busy), there are a number of other things they can do to help, and eliminating time restrictions on game-playing is perhaps the most prevalent of them. It is also likely to be the least popular of my suggestions thus far. After all, parents have relied steadily on this technique for years, and were it eliminated, their children would do nothing but play video games, right? No, says Sandra Dodd, a national expert on child-parent relationships. “If you . . . let them play as much as they want, they'll play all they want and then do something else. I've seen it time and again. When the game is new there will be a binge if it's a good game, but it's no different from a parent who just got a favorite movie on DVD and wants to watch the special features, or someone doing a crossword or jigsaw puzzle and getting so involved that they forget what time it is”. True, a child who’s just been released from the shackles of limitation will, like anyone just freed from restrictions on their interests, gorge themselves on the games for a while, but over time the novelty will wear thin, and they’ll find balance.

However, even if a parent chooses to remove the restrictions, they must be very conscious of their manner of doing so. Chances are, their children have been raised, however reluctantly, to believe that the limits have been imposed out of love and concern, and if a parent removes the limitation suddenly without explaining why, the child will naturally think it came as a result of the parent caring less about the child. Instead of jumping the decision on them suddenly, parents should take them through a transition period; this is the best time for them to play the games with their children, as it silently reinforces that they’re not just dropping the child’s limitations out of disinterest or neglectfulness, but rather doing so for their mutual benefit.

If the parents wish to shelter their child from inappropriate game content, the first thing they should do is familiarize themselves with the ESRB (Electronic Software Rating Board) game rating system. A survey mentioned at ESRB’s website and released in March of this year states that “86% of parents with children who play video games are aware of the rating system and 78% say they regularly check the rating before buying computer and video games for their children” (ESRB), yet you don’t have to look far to see parents and the media proclaiming their shock at the content of their children’s games- clearly, even more parents need to learn the system.

Something that should never be forgotten, but invariably is by so many well-meaning, misguided parents, is that children, like adults, don’t like having their hobbies derided or criticized. Treating their interests with contempt or derision will rarely gain you anything but spite, while being openminded, respectful, and understanding can bridge the gap between your ages and allow your child to really open up to you, and fosters mutual respect and understanding. I don’t expect many to be convinced or swayed by my arguments, either here or in the accompanying essay- most will remain skeptical, some disagreeing outright. But if even a few people see value in these words and understand the essence of what I’m advocating, it will be worth every ounce of the effort.

Works Cited:
Dodd, Sandra. Interview. Zachary Sanders. 27 March 2008.

ESRB. "Frequently Asked Questions." 2008. Entertainment Software Rating Board Website. 12 April 2008 .

Fram, Alan and Tompson, Trevor. "Many parents avoid video games with kids." 12 November 2007. MSNBC Website. 12 April 2008 .


Further Reading:

Everything Bad is Good for You: How Today’s Popular Culture is Actually Making Us Smarter, by Steven Johnson

Desert Trails – TV and Videogames. Blog Post.

4 comments:

Bob Collier said...

Hey, Smashing Brother - that's after Super Smash Bros, right? I love that game.

I'm sorry to read of your difficulties. I have a 12 year old son, home educated now, who's been a videogamer since he was three. My wife and I have always been happy for him to play as much as he wants to. Maybe that's because we play too - started with our daughter when she was six: Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the Master System 2. Then Sonic the Hedgehog. Loved that little guy, but he's kind of dropped out of the limelight these days.

We have an N64, a GameCube, a PS2 and an XBox360 at the moment. Oh, then there's my son's Gameboy Advance and my wife recently bought herself a Nintendo DS.

The graphics on the XBox games are just awesome. When I look at something like Tony Hawk's Project 8 (which I was playing with my son last night - and getting embarrasingly outscored as usual) and I think back to Alex Kidd - totally amazing! A whole exciting new world.

Actually, I can remember back to playing Pong in the 1970s and thinking, wow, this is fantastic. Then there was Asteroids - even bigger wow! - PacMan, the legendary Space Invaders - played those games for hours on end sometimes, although, of course, you had to go to an arcade or a pub in those days. But little did I know ... Videogames of today are at a totally higher level in every way - entertainment, intellectual stimulation, skill requirements, visuals, mechanics, you name it. Yes, you're right, the subject matter of many videogames is an issue, but, as you say, it is too with TV shows and films. Doesn't need to be the deciding factor in whether you use a technology or not.

Anyway, could probably rave on about how wonderful videogaming is all day, but won't.

Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts and perspective; I think a lot of people will do well to hear it.

I grew up with video games (Sonic, Lost Vikings, Donkey Kong, Earthworm Jim, etc) and enjoyed immersing myself in the matrix of virtual reality throughout college (Ragnarok Online, City of Heroes, World of Warcraft, etc). These games became a way for me to interact with my (now) husband while we were physically apart, stay in touch with high school friends that went to far off colleges, develop many close friendships (many don't understand when I say I have friends I met online)and develop skills that I somehow didn't really learn as well in "real life" such as cooperation, problem solving, dealing with defeat and having the strength to try again. I don't much remember having play-time restrictions while young, but looking at my younger brother, I see that my parents look down on his gaming, while they spend endless hours "zoned out" watching television shows. Another positive about video games is that they are interactive and necessitate a thinking and responding being.

Its interesting to look back, and see that their misunderstanding and dislike of video games even effected me (I have yet to realize the full implications) to the point where I would try to prevent my husband from playing games. Strange that one can take on the thoughts and opinions of others without even realizing it.

Another lesson on why all ought be loving and accepting of whatever it is that makes another happy.

Anonymous said...

Very nice article. I am a gamer myself and am 13 years old. My parents limit my time to 1 hour per day because they think I play too much. I have never had freedom...so how can they think I play too much? My dad was a very good athlete and my mom was a genius, so they encourage other things besides games. I am thinking of showing my parents this article to hopefully change their minds, but I don't think it will. I do great in school and play 2 sports, but they don't think I am social enough. I have plenty of friends and do things with them every 3 days ors so. My parents never played video games so they don't understand. I want to play alot, and i think that's because of what the article said about the more you limit it, the more they want to play. My parents think that reading and TV is better for my mental health that playing video games, but I do not think this is true. When I play xbox I always play with a mic with people I know. I am always talking to my friends, and my parents just don't care. Can someone please give me advice on whether I should show my parents this article or wait to see if they'll change their mind. Everytime I do try to talk to my mom about this, she threatens to either ground me because she is sick of hearing about it or reduce my time to 30min per day. My dad just says he'll talk to mom, which he never does. I need advice because I prefer to play xbox with my friends than just watching TV or reading. Can someone please help?

Bob Collier said...

Wow, this takes me back. My 12 year old son is 15 now.

I was reading this article at Sandra Dodd's website only a couple of days ago, could be worth a look:

If you give a kid a Nintendo ...

http://sandradodd.com/game/nintendogold

My son still plays videogames for hours on end. Games we've played together on the PS3 recently: The Show (baseball sim), Little Big Planet.

Little Big Planet is possibly the most awesomely creative game I've ever seen.