Saturday, June 02, 2007

Game of the Month: May

Blast the brilliance of Pokemon! Blast it all!

It's been said before, and many times at that, but I'm really, truly sorry. Had I had significant foresight, I would have kept Super Paper Mario as the only April GOTM. But then, how on earth was I supposed to predict that Pokemon Diamond would provide sufficient -indeed, extremely engrossing- entertainment for well over a month. Yes, Pikachu has had near-exclusive rights to my soul throughout the entirety of May, leaving me with absolutely no fodder for a feature.

But fear not, Ye (extremely) faithful few who still give a damn, for I have been gifted with the amazing and useful ability to live vicariously through others. What follows is based not on my own experiences of the last month, but those of my dear sister.

My Game of the Month for May is:





HARVEST MOON: A WONDERFUL LIFE


The Harvest Moon series has always been something of a curiosity. RPG/Sim games similar to Animal Crossing in structure, but with a progressing story and much heavier responsibilities. In AWL, the object of the game is, as the title suggests, to live your life out on a farm. As days pass and seasons change, the player must juggle farm work and moneymaking with building relationships, all while keeping their character healthy and well-rested. It's a formula that sounds iffy, even dull, but dull is something AWL is anything but- the pace is relentless and the challenge is great. If you enjoyed Animal Crossing but were bothered by the lack of structure or individual, engaging characters, Harvest Moon is for you.


I'll get back to haggling with Pikachu for my soul now. Word is he's fond of cashews.

3 comments:

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Glad to read about Harvest Moon on your blog and your mom's. I saw it at Jay's CD and Hobby. Now I wish I would have bought it. Holden can't read yet but it sounds like something I could play and enjoy with him. I like Animal Crossing with him. :)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of things we wish we had, I could go for some cashews right about now.

Glenda said...

We just bought this game today, before I read about it on your blog. Great minds think alike ;-).

Andrew really enjoys the Harvest Moon games.

Next up is Rune Fantasty, the newest Harvest Moon game (for DS), to be released tomorrow. I think that will be more my cup of tea than the usual Harvest Moon games.

Glenda
8-14-07