Monday, August 21, 2006

Blog. Smashing Brother's Blog.

The name's Brother. Smashing Brother.
I've been kicking around this world for a good 15 years, now. Doing what I can to get by. My investigative abilities are second to none, but I prefer working within my chosen field, and I don't get too many requests.

Not too long ago, a lady I knew came to me with an idea.

We go back pretty far, this dame and I. She's helped me through a lot of tough spots. In fact, you could almost say I couldn't exist without her. To protect her true identity, I'll call her "Mom".

This "Mom", she's all about new technology. And to do her justice, her tip-offs are usually quite legit. She was right about "e-mail", and the "internet", but when she came to me shooting off some spiel about "Web Logs" or "Blogs", I wasn't convinced. Even the most basic sleuthing reveals some obvious holes in her case. A Blog must be updated regularly for it to be of any use to me, and updating takes time.

Time is money, and often more, in my trade.

Even more importantly, security. Blogs are not the most secure of documents. Indeed, any guy off the street can read them.

In my business, confidentiality is of the strictest importance.

I wouldn't have anything to do with it. So I turned her out, and returned to my desk, and checked my email.

Nothing. "NO NEW MESSAGES" blinked out at me from behind the screen. Bemused, I tried again, with the same result. And again. Blinking like a malfunctioning neon light, laughing at my confusion, was the same message.

I needed something to bring attention to myself and my trade. Something I could do on a limited budget, something that wasn't too obvious, but also something any guy off the street could read...

The answer hit me with the force of a 1938 steam locomotive hurtling down the tracks at full speed. Each revelation struck me with the weight of a fully loaded coal car attached to the aforementioned. Hurrying to my phone, I dialed a well known number and waited for the pickup.

"Mom? You've got yourself a deal!"

-Smashing Brother, Junior Investigative Nintendo Journalist.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Word of the day: Blog
Seriously, folks. It doesn't matter that it's a simple shortening of "Web Log". Ten years ago, if you asked just about anyone what they would call a revolutionary online journal that anyone, anywhere with a computer and internet connection could use for free, they would have been about as likely to say "a Blog, dude!" as our fair president is to reach 70+ percent in the popularity polls by the end of his second term. Well, until next time,

-SB

3 comments:

Glenda said...

Great first entry, Zach! Blogging's fun and you can take it in so many directions. Have a good time.

Glenda (from the unschooling gamers list, and ACWW wi-fi)

Vicki said...

Zach, great first post!! Can't wait to read more!

Vicki

Anonymous said...

OK Zach, you might have some usefull advise for me since you are a Nintendo Journalist. I have always played my games on a PC. I can find games online and try them out for free. Also I prefer long games like Morrowind and with the PC version I can customize the game more. Why should I consider nintendo or any other game box over games for my PC?

I don't know if you answer comments, or if you stay a secret agent, but I'll check your blog to see, or if you want you can reply to elmerhunts@yahoo.com.